Once you’ve got your data, what do you do with it? What should you look for? What tools should you use? This section opens with some ideas on improving your data literacy, tips for working with numbers and statistics, and things to bear in mind while working with messy, imperfect and often undocumented datasets. We go on to learn about how to get stories from data, data journalists' tools of choice, and how to use data visualization to giving you insights into the topic you’re looking at.
What's in this Chapter?
1. Become Data Literate in 3 Simple Steps
2. Tips for Working with Numbers in the News
3. Basic Steps in Working with Data
4. The £32 Loaf of Bread
5. Start With the Data, Finish With a Story
6. Data Stories
7. Data Journalists Discuss Their Tools of Choice
8. Using Data Visualization to Find Insights in Data